The KEY to finding what’s here and sharing what you know.
There are lots of great finds on this site if you are researching family history and you have families connected to Scott County, Virginia. There are hundreds of photos and documents and I want you to be able to find the ones you’re looking for, then share your connections with others. I’ve corresponded with some wonderful people in the more than 5 years since I started working on this project.
The Navigation Bar…
Just below the masthead image is the navigation bar, or nav bar for short. It contains links to the main sections of the site. Most of the buttons are self explanatory, like HOME and CONTACT ME, but the most important is the one labeled SCOTT COUNTY SURNAMES. Click this link and see a list of every surname that can be found on this site. Click a name on that list and you will be taken to an archive page where every item has some connection to that surname. It may be a photo of your long lost grandfather or simply an entry on a transcribed document.
You can scroll through an archive page where you’ll see a brief snippet on each entry. When you reach the bottom of the page you can use the PREVIOUS and NEXT links to continue browsing. When you find a snippet that looks interesting click on it to view the entry.
Each entry is a unique page that will allow visitors to comment and see links to possibly related entries.
Your comments are encouraged and greatly appreciated, they are what will make this site so valuable. The comment box is a place where you can share your ideas, express your appreciation to the submitter or let others know that you are researching the same families. You never know what little tidbit of information can send you in the right direction.
To submit a comment you will be required to leave a name and an email address. Your email address will not be automatically displayed. If you want your email address to show up, type it in the large box along with your comment.
The first time you submit a comment it will go into moderation and will not show up on the site until it has been approved by me. After your first comment has been approved, each time you submit a comment using the same name and email address, your comment will automatically be approved and posted immediately. This keeps the spammers from flooding the comment section with their junk.
There is new feature now that will let to Subscribe to Comments. Check the box to be notified by email whenever a new comment is added to that entry. Don’t miss that person with the missing link! You can also subscribe to comments without commenting yourself.
- Search – one of the most important aspects of this site. You can enter any surname, location or keyword that you wish. The search engine will search every post in this site and list the results in snippets that you can click on and then view each post in full, along with the comments for each post.
- Pages – here you will find links to pages that list every surname on this site, pages that give information about this site, how it works and information on how to submit your photos, files and links (and eventually some about me).
- Categories – each post is listed under at least one category. You can choose a category and every post in that category will be listed. For example if you choose Headstones, every post with a headstone photo will be listed. The category link is also listed under the title of each post. The category list will most likely expand as the site does.
- Family Files are generally text files sent in by folks like you that enhance the photos by giving information on the individuals or families. They are easily printed in your web browser.
- Regional Repositories – links to site by organizations that have information relevant to Scott County researchers.
- Researcher’s Sites are links to web pages put together by folks like us, that also have information on families and history connected to Scott County.
If you have any problems please fell free to contact me. Good luck and enjoy!